Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Bracken/Fern

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Colin Jackson" wrote

As a newby, what is the difference between brackens & ferns?

As a matter of interest, a neighbour said what I had in the garden was
bracken - an invasive weed.
Now the boss is looking , in a nursery, for pots of something very
similar, marked up as ferns!

This is Bracken...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken
If you scroll down you will see it has a stem and the fronds come off
that, with other ferns the fronds come straight out of a central
rootball/trunk. Over the last few years we have had them come up in all
sorts of shady places in our small garden and they always seem to choose
the right spot, this includes some maidenhair ferns which are a nice
surprise.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

My father and his pal would gather sackfulls of dead ferns each autumn, then
having taken out the soil from his greenhouse, would bury the dead ferns
then replace the soil.

Bill