Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john east[_2_] View Post
We like these neighbours and want to remain friends. What reason can I give to them not to lend my tools to them which will cause the minimal amount of friction? I'm looking for an imaginative (yet plausible) excuse to give
them.
Reasons and excuses are a bad idea. Honesty, expressed in the appropriate manner, is far more effective. Just tell them, quite honestly, precisely how you feel when they hold on to your stuff (eg disappointed in them, irate, whatever is exactly true) and why (because it looks like you don't respect my stuff, or because I don't have it when I need it, whatever is exactly true). Unless they are sociopaths or have other personality disorders, this is a very effective way of getting people on side, which is why it is taught in management schools.

Then in future set a time limit for bringing them back, and enforce it. That way, you will definitely have your tool when you need it.