Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
JB[_7_] JB[_7_] is offline

Default Not lending tools, excuse

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/03/2011 09:43 AM, john east wrote:
We have some new neighbours that have moved in next door and they ask to
borrow garden tools (and car tools).

The problem for me is I have to go and ask for them back, and they are
not
always there. I wanted to use my garden rake today and went around to get
it
back, but they are out; so I cannot do the job.

We like these neighbours and want to remain friends. What reason can I
give
to them not to lend my tools to them which will cause the minimal amount
of
friction? I'm looking for an imaginative (yet plausible) excuse to give
them.

'I *really* don't want to fall out with you over this but unless things
are returned immediately, then this is the last time. I hope you can
understand how inconvenient it is, when I have a job to do'.

Leave it at that but stick to your word.

Is the correct answer. Honest and truthful. Each knows where they stand.

JB