Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Leylandii Shreddings

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 03/10/2011 08:37, 'Mike' wrote:
I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going through the
shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what
proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

I am not certain, but I would think that the acidity of the shreddings
might cause problems. It might be better to make sure that it is well
"diluted" with non-coniferous material and perhaps add a little lime as
well.

--

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Neighbours on both sides are trimming back conventional hedges. I feel sure
they will let me have their trimmings for the shredder ;-) and I have some
more chunky stuff to shred so there is no problem in getting stuff to mix
in.

Thanks

Mike