Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Moving gooseberry

mogga wrote in
:

I got stabbed to death picking the things
I will check carefully. :-)

mogga,
I asked in this group maybe 3yrs ago.

I was given advice to wait until all the leaves had fallen and to prune
middle branches to the root to allow air through to prevent mildew. Then
dig them up amd replant them in a large diameter hole with plenty of
compost and a little blood, fish and bone.

I did it and had some very nice fruit the following season.

I think I did it late October.

Keep pruning every year to keep the middle of the plant open.

To avoid getting stabbed, what I do is to grasp the end of a fruiting
branch (wearing nice thick gloves) and lift it up. You will then see lots
of goosegogs dangling below so pick them off being careful not to jab your
wrist on the thorns. I know how annoying that is!

Well, that is my experience on the subject.(there is no substitute for
personal experience). The advice I was given proved to be soud.

Good luck
Baz