Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Not quite OT, Plant hunting

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Oct 4, 2:53 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:

On 2011-10-02 09:00:21 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote ((huge snip))

Good evening everyone from a warm South Wales
Managed to get to Longleat despite the directions supplied by Google
Maps, their directions were giberish. .

I have used Google Maps to find places and then see them in "Street
View" so I know what to look for when I get there and find that very
useful. Their directions are probably OK if you stop and check them
every junction but a good SatNav is the way to go.
A SatNav that is clear and concise map is better than those all
singing
things which show a fancy picture and therefor make it difficult to
understand at a glance, they also need voice commands. I have used
them
since they first came out when all they had was arrows etc, and no
map,
probably easier to see/understand too.

I bought Ray our second TomTom for a present this year. It's improved
on the earlier one we had and we find it extremely useful. Yes, there
are times when it can be wrong but we've never had any major hiccup.
It
seems to find our lanes a bit confusing until it 'gets used' to us
going
home the way we know!

Yes, mine is like that. Always want to take me to the village High
Street
via a dodgy junction, so I always go the long way. I also managed to
confuse it when I last went to Bury St Edmunds. They had ironed out
some
nasty bends on the A14 since the last time, and I managed to stun it
into
silence when it thought I was driving across fields :-}

It always makes me laugh when that rather tetchy voice says "Turn around
when possible". I swear she's getting crosser each time she says it! THe
old one had a strange glitch in it which, when we were driving to
Westbuy
on Trym, got us to go off the motorway, right round the layout at the
top
and back onto the motorway in our original direction!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

When my wife is in the car with me my sat-nav can't get a word in :-)

I wonder if it knows where Devon is - I'll be in Torquay in early
December.

Bill

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Easy, down M5 and then turn left some distance after Exeter,

Yeah that would be at the Penn roundabout, then several miles of usually
congested driving..

Thanks Dave, I know where Torquay is but does my sat-nav?..:-):-)

Bill