Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Leylandii Shreddings

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"echinosum" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;938460"]I am taking a specimen Leylandii down and most of it is going
through the shredder.

Question. Will it harm the compost to mix large quantities in? I so what

proportion of mix would anyone recommend?

Leylandii is very acidic and very slow to break down. So the answer on
what proportion to mix in is "not very much." When I've put some in my
compost bin, I've found it barely altered 3 years later. I take it all
to the tip these days, where they can deal with it.

If you have a big enough garden so as not be a nuisance, I'd burn it.

I am afraid that the days of 'large enough gardens' are over when we moved
into this house. "Postage Stamp" compared to our last house, so bonfires are
out.

I shred what I can of everything. Stuff too big for the shredder gets cut
down and into the boot to either my daughter and son in law's very large
garden and bonfire, or the dump for their shredder.

Mike