Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_9_] Sue[_9_] is offline

Default Opinions On Cannabis

"Martin Brown" wrote
These days it is an EU licensed horticultural crop c. savita var
savita genetically stripped of its ability to make THC and related
components and grown for the hemp fibre which has had a resurgence
lately.

They were trialling a variety of hemp as a possible future crop on a
farm my hubby went to once. I don't know how successful it turned out to
be, but I remember the farmer was amused that a few of his plants got
'liberated' one night by hopeful thieves. He reckoned they'd have needed
to smoke a couple of fields' worth before getting any sort of high.

You often find houses, fields or hamlets still called Hemplands around
here; I believe hemp production for rope and cloth was quite a thriving
industry in East Anglia once upon a time.

Flax is also making something of a come-back.

Hope it makes a comeback where I can see it from the kitchen window.
Acres of flax and poppies and a bit of white mayweed all blooming
together - beautiful.

--
Sue