Old 20-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Ron Nelson

Default Roots coming out of stems everywhere???

Dave
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my last post... I have kept my traces
separate from my pre-mixed PMDD... My pre-mix PMDD does have Nitrates in it.
I followed the recipe here http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/pmdd.htm and
then chose to mix everything together except for the traces... Which I have
been adding separately. Maybe I need to mix everything separately and try
dosing that way? Again the plants are doing great and growing like crazy,
And my fish seem to be doing great. My water tests always come back Ph about
6.8-7.0, Kh 6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0... It's just that the
roots on the stems are a little ugly to me... And that may just be because
its not something I had seen in various photos I've seen on the web... Maybe
I'm just being too picky?

Ron

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Ron Nelson wrote:

So I'm over fertilizing. Which means I should cut down on my PMDD right?

My
PMDD doesn't have traces in it and I had been trying to achieve the 5-10

ppm
of Nitrates that I have seen recommended... But with no success my

Nitrates
are always 0... Any thoughts?

Ron,

Just one person said your nutrients were too high. The rest said roots

were
normal. I vote for "roots are normal" since every stem plant I've ever had

sent
them out.

You said, "My PMDD doesn't have traces in it". That doesn't sound good.

The
trace element fertilizer is a core component of PMDD. Can you clarify that
statement?

You said, "I had been trying to achieve the 5-10 ppm
of Nitrates that I have seen recommended... But with no success my

Nitrates
are always 0"

This unrelated to trace element fertilizer. Nitrates approach zero when

plants
suck out all that the fish waste can produce. Many of us have to dose

Nitrates
in order to raise them back up. I have to add 3/4 teaspoon per week to

keep them
a bit under 10 in my 72 gallon tank, even with lots of fish. Are you

dosing
nitrates in your mix?