Old 05-10-2011, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RG[_2_] RG[_2_] is offline

Default Tomorrow

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 16:41:12 +0100, Pete C wrote:

"Fuschia" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 01:02:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

My 3 Lawsons Cypr will be felled at the insistence of my neighbour who
claims they are causing cracks in her plaster.
I will vacate the house all day as I don't want to be here.

We used to be friends, but now we will never speak again except with
gritted
teeth.

Kind of hedge wars, I suppose.

My poor trees.

Sorry to hear that Christina.

Is your neighbour aware that removing the trees might cause her house
even more damage from heave?

In theory, any damage caused by the trees water uptake should be
reversed as
the ground rehydrates. I said in theory!
Pete C

Unfortunately buildings don't listen to the theory!

If the house has simply tilted in one piece, it will move back in one
piece. But if the foundations have broken apart due to the settlement (and
that is what cracks the walls above them), the separated sections usually
heave back at different rates. You will very likely find that the part
nearest the removed tree rises faster than the rest of the house since its
subsoil will be rehydrated first.
Also if ground material has leached into any vertical gaps in the
foundations, they cannot fully close up again.

I don't wish to worry Christina, but it would be a good idea for her to
check her insurance.