Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default rustic weeping rosemary

On 06/10/2011 15:14, Spider wrote:
On 05/10/2011 19:14, Emery Davis wrote:

I'm looking for the hardiest possible weeping rosemary cultivar. To
drape down a low wall. We very occasionally see -15C. Any suggestions?

I grow Rosmarinus 'Severn Sea', which Jekka McVicar's site call "frost
hardy". However, it has survived in my garden for 4-5 years, despite the
heavy snowfall and frosts of the last two winters. It is on heavy clay,
but at the front of a retaining wall, perhaps similar to your intended
site. The wind often whips it and tosses it back on itself, so it is
fairly exposed. There was a tiny bit of damage last year, but the plant
is doing well. It has the most beautiful blue flowers

In my experience it isn't winter hardiness that kills it so much as wet
feet and/or a nasty white fungal branch rot that starts from the top.

Dry continental style cold probably won't harm it but many days of cold
damp conditions lingering around freezing point will.

The gnarled remains of a several decade old rosemary that finally gave
up the ghost last year adorns my fern garden.

Unknown cultivar I have grows fine on heavy clay up against a roughly S
facing garage wall which gives it a bit of protection from the elements
up here in North Yorkshire. Mine has survived -18C.

Regards,
Martin Brown