Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default rustic weeping rosemary

On 2011-10-06 15:14:40 +0100, Spider said:

On 05/10/2011 19:14, Emery Davis wrote:
I'm looking for the hardiest possible weeping rosemary cultivar. To
drape down a low wall. We very occasionally see -15C. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-E

I grow Rosmarinus 'Severn Sea', which Jekka McVicar's site call "frost
hardy". However, it has survived in my garden for 4-5 years, despite
the heavy snowfall and frosts of the last two winters. It is on heavy
clay, but at the front of a retaining wall, perhaps similar to your
intended site. The wind often whips it and tosses it back on itself,
so it is fairly exposed. There was a tiny bit of damage last year, but
the plant is doing well. It has the most beautiful blue flowers

But we lose it here, due more to wet than cold, probably. I don't think
we'd ever call it hardy and -15C is an unattainable dream!

Then I shall count myself lucky that I can keep it, London clay and all.
Although it's at the bottom of a steepish bank, where you would expect
water to collect, the last 3 courses of the retaining wall are not
mortared, so drainage is good. Obviously, that's the key.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London