Old 07-10-2011, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rustic weeping rosemary

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

[ Old rosemary out of shape. ]

What can I do? Options:

1. Pull it out and start again with a new one?

I can't never keep them going for more than about 5 years, but they
aren't very long-lived even in poor soils, and most varieties tend
to get shapeless as time goes on.

2. Prune it back? But then it won't grow out again from the base, will
it?

Young rosemaries might - old ones won't.

3. Prune some of it back? This last is what I thought I would do but (a)
I've still got a straggly shrub, and (b) it might kill it off anyway.

Right.

I don't want to start all over again as I use quite a lot of it in
cooking. However I must do something as I can't reach the vine growing
on the wall above it. And, anyway, I'm ashamed of the sight of it!

Layer it, in a pot if you need to. When the layers have rooted well,
scrap the original plant and put the layers in the soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.