Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Labelling help pls

On Oct 7, 1:02*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 11:56:11 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

pruned

Thanks for the information Janet, but if I cannot write legibly with a
pen what chance have I with and engraver. As Chris suggested the profit
is certainly with the consumables. As I am labelling lots (hopefully
this will reduce in the future) am am consuming the consumable at a
great rate of knots, at 11.99 a time (Maplin is the cheapest I can
find) it soon adds up.

What size tape are you using? If Maplin's online prices are plus VAT
you might like to look at Labelzone
(http://www.labelzone.co.uk/tz-tape/c32)
where the 6, 9 and 12mm tapes are under a tenner plus VAT, for some if
not all colours, and there's no delivery charge.

One mistake I made early on was not reading the "manual" properly and
if I wanted 6 prints of a label I printed single labels 6 times before
finding the multi-print function that will do up to 9 in one go and
save you anything up to an inch of tape for each label, you just need
a pair of scissors.

Another trick with long names is to go for the wider tapes and two
lines of print - it works out a lot cheaper.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk

I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?
is it so that you can see at a glance what a plant is called, or is it
to keep a record of what you have?
If the latter, then why not keep a list on your computer and just put
a numbered label in with the plant, remembering to keep a back up list
on a memory stick or something, of post it to a hotmail account so
that if your machine goes down you don't loose your list.
David