Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Labelling help pls

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 06:07:13 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:
pruned

I'll ask a stupid question
Why do you want to label your plants?
is it so that you can see at a glance what a plant is called, or is it
to keep a record of what you have?
If the latter, then why not keep a list on your computer and just put
a numbered label in with the plant, remembering to keep a back up list
on a memory stick or something, of post it to a hotmail account so
that if your machine goes down you don't loose your list.
David

In my case (though can't speak for Moonraker) it's a mix of
remembering wot's wot in the ground and, more importantly, wot's wot
in the couple of thousand bedding plants I grow each year. I got fed
up with write-on labels fading (in the bedding case, often before I
got round to planting out). I "printed" lables last May for lots of
things and those outside are still fine. Those for bedding were washed
and re-used this year and have now been washed again ready for re-use
again next year.

I've tried the numbers trick in the past and I have lists on the
computer (and printouts on paper) but neither are really much good
when I'm going round the garden in the rain or for remembering what to
prune or what to dig up in the dormant season when if it isn't
raining, it's still damp and my hands are filthy. Plus if a label will
last as long as these clearly do, and can be re-used for several
years, it's a lot easier overall.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk