Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rustic weeping rosemary

On 10/07/2011 03:00 PM, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

I don't want to start all over again as I use quite a lot of it in
cooking. However I must do something as I can't reach the vine growing
on the wall above it. And, anyway, I'm ashamed of the sight of it!

Layer it, in a pot if you need to. When the layers have rooted well,
scrap the original plant and put the layers in the soil.

That's a good idea and one which I hadn't thought of. I'd thought of
taking cuttings but that's a bit iffy. Layering is more secure. Thanks,
Nick!

If you want to save some for cooking meanwhile, cut a bunch of healthy
leafy looking twigs, rinse bag and freeze them.. defrosted they are fine
to stick in a leg of lamb etc or pull some leaves off for baking focaccia
etc.

Yes, I might well do that, though I've never been a fan of dried/frozen
herbs as they seem to lose their flavour. Still, that's better than not
having any at all.

If you like to BBQ, or grill over an open wood fire as the French do,
another use is to throw a bunch under the meat or veg just as it
finishes cooking. It flames up with a lot of smoke that adds a terrific
rosemary-smokey flavour.

-E