Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
internaughtfull internaughtfull is offline

Default juniper dying; pine mulch?

On Oct 7, 2:26*pm, Gunner wrote:
On Oct 7, 6:23*am, internaughtfull
wrote:

Hi,

I had three big pine trees cut down and the stumps chipped and
mulched.
Several small blue rug junipers were planted in that area [with some
new black
mulch on top of the pine chip/dirt mix] and all of them have died or
showed browning. I have several other junipers a small distance away
and they are ok.
Could the fresh pine mulch be doing this? Can I fix this?

itchy

Where? If your in the US, contact your county extension agent or your
land grant college for more detailed information but to give you some
ideas; are there other large pines/evergreens around,... few or many?
Is the dieback from the bottom up or tip down?

Tennessee. There are no other large trees nearby, and the dieback
seems
fairly uniform, ie: brown all over.

If you ground the stumps recently, say this season, could be your
roots are still sucking the water from the area ( least likely) and/or
your chip mulch is too "green"[...]

[...]

The other possibility is the plants were bad stock to begin with. *[...]

Thanks for the advice, I think the vendor will replace them, and I
will
just stick them elsewhere and let the mulch break down a bit. You can
still smell the 'pine scent' in that area fairly strongly. They were
huge
[30 yards high] old pines but starting to lean directly towards some
dwellings and had to go.

itchy