View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AriesVal[_12_
I'm not going to do anything with them either but interesting to know
what they are and their name.
They've got a similar scented taste to them like quince. One or two make a nice addition to apple pie or apple crumble.

The jelly is worth it if you have enough, but most jams and jellies are a lot of bother unless you've got enough to make about 6lbs. Usual method applies - extract juice (by boiling then squashing, a fruit press is useful), add 1lb sugar to each pint of juice, boil till small drop cooled on a saucer wrinkles when you push it with your finger. Worth straining the juice if you want jewel-like clarity. It's one of those jellies which tastes really good with fatty meats or with poultry.

I suppose you could make quince paste with them too - very intense taste, very sweet, cut into small squares for nibbles. Portuguese origin - portuguese for quince is marmelo, hence marmalade.

I always leave them, because they look so attractive, and I'd only be able to pick about a pound, if that.