Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Identify this Tree

wrote in message ...
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

When I returned to the UK after many years away, I was
amazed/astounded/horrified to see that the Botanical Gardens in
Edinburgh featured Ailanthus!
Lythrum salicaria (Purple loosestrife) is causing problems in parts of
the US, where it is out-competing native plants.

The UK has almost certainly the most resilient ecology in the world,
when it comes to invasive land plants. Excluding the politically
correct blithering, the only two that have caused significant
trouble have been Japanese knotweed and (in a VERY few areas)
Rhododendron ponticum. The reason is, of course, that almost
all our plant and animal species have arrived in the past 11,000
years. Similarly, almost all endangerment of our 'native' species
has been due to habitat loss or destruction, followed by the loss
of predators which has caused the woodland deer and grey squirrel
populations to rocket.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not forgetting Himalayan Balsam