Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default a level product design questionnaire

Kaiser fuel wrote:
This is just a quick questionnaire about a solar powered watering
system i am hoping to make. please just write your answers in posts.
thank you for your time.

1. Would you consider purchasing a solar powered watering system for
the garden?

Yes No+

No. I notice that you are not at all interested in my reason why. Odd.

2. What size is your garden?

4m2 5m2-10m2 11m2-15m2 15m2+

Much bigger

3. How often do you water the garden?

Everyday Every other day Twice a week

Once a week Never

When it is necessary, which is not some particular time interval.

4. Would you like the system to be modular (you can add on extra parts
when you need to)?

Yes No

Watering systems are already extensible, why would you not have that
feature?

5. How much would you be willing to pay for the product?

£20-30 £31-40 £41-50 £50+

$0 since I have no idea what the capabilities of the system are.

6. Would you like it to blend in with the garden or stand out?

Blend in Stand out

In what part of the world are watering systems a fashion statement? Are you
harbouring a fetish for black polypipe? A warning: polypipe doesn't carry
water when it is kinky.

7. Would you like the system to water automatically at certain times
of the day?

Yes No

No, that presupposes the garden needs watering.

8. How old are you?

20 21-30 31-40 41-60 61-70 70+

Too old to have much patience with such a silly survey.

You haven't mentioned any reason why one might want a solar powered watering
system. Consider where water comes from. For city dwellers in developed
countries (most readers here) it comes out of a tap at enough pressure to be
delivered through a passive watering system. So that means a high
proportion (my guess 90%) of readers have no need for your product.

For others water comes from a well, dam, tank, or a natural body of water.
Such people probably have pumping and delivery systems to get the water to
the garden but they might be interested in using solar energy to power the
pump. Why would they do that? Well, it _might_ be cheaper or more
sustainable, or be available where there is no electricity. Would your
system suit any of them? From your description there is no way of knowing.
So who are you going to get interested in this? I don't know.

David