Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AriesVal[_12_] AriesVal[_12_] is offline

Default What are these 'fruits' please? and are they edible?

On 08/10/2011 21:17, kay wrote:
'AriesVal[_12_ Wrote:

I'm not going to do anything with them either but interesting to know
what they are and their name.

They've got a similar scented taste to them like quince. One or two make
a nice addition to apple pie or apple crumble.

The jelly is worth it if you have enough, but most jams and jellies are
a lot of bother unless you've got enough to make about 6lbs. Usual
method applies - extract juice (by boiling then squashing, a fruit press
is useful), add 1lb sugar to each pint of juice, boil till small drop
cooled on a saucer wrinkles when you push it with your finger. Worth
straining the juice if you want jewel-like clarity. It's one of those
jellies which tastes really good with fatty meats or with poultry.

I suppose you could make quince paste with them too - very intense
taste, very sweet, cut into small squares for nibbles. Portuguese origin
- portuguese for quince is marmelo, hence marmalade.

I always leave them, because they look so attractive, and I'd only be
able to pick about a pound, if that.

How interesting, thank you Kay

--
Don't forgive people because you're weak,
forgive them because you're strong enough to know that people make mistakes.