Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default My pond fish are avoiding me

On 2011-10-09 12:03:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Doug" wrote

I am new to this but is it normal? Up until now they were virtually
eating
out of my hand but now rush for cover when they see me, even at feeding
time. I have reduced their feed to see if their behaviour is caused by a
lack of hunger but still no result. Is it the time of year perhaps or
has
some predator frightened them?

Certainly something has/is frightening them. I trust they have somewhere
to hide at the bottom of the pond like a decent sized clay flowerpot on
it's side?
You should be reducing feed this time of year as the water temperature
reduces anyway, and stop altogether once the temperature gets below 50°F.

We've certainly noticed with ours that the feeding frenzy has reduced
considerably. They're still coming to the edge of the pond, waiting to be
fed but the actual taking of the food isn't as manic as in warmer months.
Just as well, they eat us out of house and home!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I was told some time ago that goldfish should not be fed during the winter
because whilst they eat, they don't digest, and that is not good for them.

Bill