Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default Blue Hydrangea lost its colour

KEPPY wrote:

My lovely blue hydrangea has gradually over 5 years changed its colour
to a mauvy dirty pink with purple tinge.

I understand i can bring the blue colour back by using acidic
fertilizers..... What best choice products do you recommend from a
uk garden centre or maybe from B&Q Also what product would give the
quickest result.

I know pure peat is acidic but i dont wish to use peat even if it was
available in the stores.

Having recently bought a blue hydrangea that is yet to be planted out I
was looking into this very subject at the weekend.

According to the tag on my specimen (Hydrangea Macrophylla 'Zorro
Blue') the pH shound around 4.7 and althought the flowers are now
starting to die the vibrant blue is lovely. The Hydrangea at the front
of the house is pink and although this will planted in the back garden
I am assuming we have alkaline soil in general.

I will probably try
http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/are...st-products/vi
tax-hydrangea-colourant/ but only because another Vitax product had
been recommended to us by staff at RHS Wisley (for another issue) so
I'm hoping that their stuff does a good job in general.

--
Chris