Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
news news is offline

Default Identify this Tree

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Also, because of its invasive nature in some places, unpleasant odour,
and suckering, Tree of Hell.

I've got a fairly large one of these in the garden and it is rather
attractive at times. Particularly in spring, looking up through its
leaves/branches you get a lovely dappled, twinkling vista. We get no
seedlings (I think its male) and only two suckers that I can recall.

Very 'architectural' branches too - big and long, making it look like an
excellent tree for those with a tree climbing bent. However, I think
the wood itself is really light and subject to breaking so I wouldn't
actually try (even if I weren't past such things anyway).

The main problem is the mess that it makes. It seems to drop stuff more
often than most trees. Flower cases; flowers, leaves and leave
'branches'. It seems to be the dead flowers that smell the worst,
particularly when wet. A very odd smell - not pleasant but not actively
vile.

Eating outside is not very pleasant when the flowers are falling - they
get in everything.

Actually, no - the main problem is birds (particularly pigeons, rooks
and magpies) crapping all over the patio They find it a grand tree to
perch in. Which I'm surprised at, as my Bengal finds it a fantastic
tree to hurtle up.

--
regards andyw