Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Bill Bushnell Bill Bushnell is offline

Default Identify this Tree

S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/8/2011 4:41 AM, wrote:
S wrote:
On 10/7/2011 5:58 PM, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
writes
Can someone identify the following tree for me?

http://mrbill.homeip.net/downloads/l...Identified.jpg

The tree is growing in a suburban yard in Sunnyvale, California (San
Francisco Bay Area).

This is a UK (United Kingdom) group, so we are not particularly
qualified to identify Californian trees.

True, but some of us have some clue about such things.

However, try Ailanthus.

It does look like it.
Grabbing a leaf and crushing would tell for sure - it stinks.

The leaves look right, but the bark doesn't, and what may be the
residue of the flowers doesn't, either. And I am afraid that
lots of other leaves stink!

Perhaps a better photo would help to clarify.
I'm currently in the US (east coast) and there are a number of stinky
Ailanthus in the area which look very like that one.

I wanted to learn what kind of tree this was because I believe my next-door neighbors are
growing one or have allowed a volunteer to grow in their garden. Normally I would not be
too concerned, but in this case I have solar panels on my roof that are starting to become
shaded by this tree. The lost energy generation is not much right now, about 1.5kwh/day,
but the loss will only increase as the tree grows larger.

I put together a short photo album showing their tree (first three photos) and a different
mature tree that I posted earlier.:

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/ailanthusAltissima/

Solar panel shading during afternoon insolation from the neighbors' Ailanthus:

http://mrbill.homeip.net/albums/sola...ow.2011.06.20/

My next step is to discuss this with my neighbors. Their tree is not an ugly tree, and I
suspect they rather like the shade it provides, so they may resist the idea of removing it
and planting something different in its stead.

With such a fast-growing tree that when mature can be 40m tall, is trimming a practical
solution?

Does anyone have additional advice?

Thanks.

--