Old 14-10-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Purple berry

In message
, NT
writes
On Aug 28, 8:11*pm, NT wrote:
On Aug 28, 9:24*am, Dave Hill wrote:

On 2011-08-28 00:16:57 +0100, NT said:

Anyone know what it is?
http://i54.tinypic.com/amskjo.jpg
It has red flesh inside. I'm guessing its not edible.

thank you, NT

It looks like Mahonia aquifolium. *Apparently, *people make jam from
the berries. I've never tried that, so this is 'at your own risk' and
not a recommendation!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Mahonia aquifolium orOregonGrape
The small purplish-black fruits, which are quite tart and contain
large seeds, are included in smaller quantities in the traditional
diets of Pacific Northwest aboriginal peoples, mixed with Salal or
another sweeter fruit. Today they are sometimes used to make jelly,
alone or mixed with salalOregongrapejuice can be fermented to make
wine, similar to European barberry wine folk traditions, although it
requires an unusually high amount of sugar

briliant, thank you both. I've been able to confirm its definitely
theoregongrape.

NT

I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7

Also some sort of oak, but the leaves are round:
http://tinypic.com/r/k3ayvl/7
(Its growng in water, but doesnt match the water oak).

Not an oak. It's an alder. In Britain I would place that as Alnus
glutinosa, but your reference to water oak suggests that you aren't in
Britain.

And finally I presume this is snowberry:
http://tinypic.com/r/2jdncrb/7

thank you for all the help

NT

--