Old 15-10-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default Purple berry

On Oct 15, 10:34*am, Janet wrote:
In article 138712f5-6a7b-45fc-9317-407b426e5115
@o14g2000vbd.googlegroups.com, says...

On Oct 15, 8:36*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message ,
writes

NT wrote:
I've another grape-like fruit I'm not sure what it is, but its not
another oregon grape.
http://tinypic.com/r/2eb8feo/7
Blue berry, or possibly blaeberry.
Thanks. I looked this up, but am seeing an issue that my first photo
failed to show.
http://tinypic.com/r/34rf62q/7
This end-of-berry shot shows the absence of the 5 pointed flower scar
on what I've got, but both wiki and google images show that
characteristic hollow scar on all blueberry pictures.

The other thing I'm slightly puzzled about is the berries are green
fleshed inside, and dotted singly about the bush, not in bunches. Yet
wiki says

Aronia berry?

Same problem as Vaccinium - there should be a "flower scar".

* * *http://www.kruufm.com/node/10473
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

The Sloe only has a small spot as a flower scar, if in doubt bite into
it, very sharp and astringent then it's a Sloe.

*Small for sloes? It would help if the OP could tell us the plant size and
growth habit, and the size of the fruit... and whether *he's in a markedly
acid or alkaline area.

* * Janet

* *Janet.

Right, something else I failed to think of! The berries are half inch
diameter, they also lack the crease on one side the plum family has.
Plant size my memory's a bit hazy, it wasnt the only plant I was
looking at, but 3-6 foot high. The soil is clay, I believe alkaline,
and a bit on the wet side.

I totally agree with what someone said further up, I wont be eating
any until I'm positive I've got the identification right.

NT