Old 15-10-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BluntChisel BluntChisel is offline

Default Planting trees through decking

Hello -

My garden is about 1 metre higher than my neighbours. I have some decking
which covers the slope between the 2 gardens. I currently have evergreen
shrubs and small trees in pots on the decking, to provide some screening,
but I was wondering whether it would be feasible to cut suitably reinforced
holes in the decking and grow some small trees through the decking. I would
space the trees so that their roots would be unlikely to affect the footings
of the fence or decking. I also realise that I would need to choose species
that would not grow too quickly, or be un-neighbourly in other ways.

The proposed trees are shown in blue on this diagram
http://i53.tinypic.com/1zlx10h.png

Is this feasible? Any suggestions for tree species that might tolerate this
arrangement, and when they should be planted?

Thanks