Old 16-10-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Purple berry

On 15/10/2011 20:58, Dave Hill wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:25 pm, wrote:
"Dave wrote

Who said anything about eating?
I said taste, that means getting the tip of your tongue onto the
inside flesh, that wont kill you, it wont make you ill, it will just
let you know that they ARE Sloes.
Even Nightshade in that ammount would have no effect on you.
They are far less harmefull than Green tomatoes, green potatoes, Raw
Rhubarb, or for that matter raw Onions or a spoonfull of sugar.

If they're sloes, and they do look like them, then if the taste doesn't
confirm it vicious thorns on the shrub ought to
In my experiance I'd not call Blackthorn an excesivily thorny shrub, but what it does have are vicious.

It used to be called the Devils Thorn, and is the onlt plant who's
thorn has turned my hand septic after being stuck by it, resulting in
anti biotic injection and a weeks course of tablets.
David Hill
--
Sue

Today looks perfect for sloe picking, but you've reminded me how vicious
those thorns are