Old 16-10-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Chillies

JonH wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

JonH wrote

My chillies (Cayennes in a greenhouse) are coming to the end of their
useful production life, but some are developing brown woody looking
sections on their stems. We have been hit by both potato and tomato
blight (all obviously infected material has been removed from the
scene of the crime). I have been evicting the affected plants. Yes;
I am fighting various slugs and snails and probably red spider mite

Since chillies are related to the tomato familly, are these symptoms
indicative of a similar blight infection?

No, chillies are a perennial plant that if we didn't get frost would live
for a few years and grow like a shrub. It's just developing bark around
it's
trunk.

Thanks. The literature suggests that Cayennes are difficult to over
winter. Now, I may have a go.

All chillies are difficult to keep over winter IME which is why we grow them
as annuals. It appears to be a combination of cold, damp and lack of light
that makes them expire slowly during the winter months.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK