Old 16-10-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Metal post source

"Jake" wrote ...

Moonraker wrote:

I am fed up with my runner beans blowing over, thus making is a PITA to
harvest. Decided that a couple metal posts fitted in at each end of the
row would work. However any suggestions as to a source of cheap poles? I
see them advertised in the form of Washing |Line Posts, but a bit dear
me thinks. I thought of trying scrap metal merchants, but by the time I
have driven around to find a supply I may well have spent a lot on
petrol. Any other suggestions please?

Try scaffolding poles. You should be able to pick up a new 8 foot pole
for around a tenner but that's plus VAT and delivery. An 8 foot pole
will give you a decent 1.5-2 feet concreted in the ground. Second hand
poles are around and a local scaffolder may sell you a couple. Again,
online, e.g. at
http://www.scaffolding-direct.co.uk/...mm_od_915.aspx
but VAT and delivery will add substantially to the price.

But if you concrete them in you cannot move them so bang goes your 4 year
rotation. We use square metal poles similar to scaffold poles and I just
bang them in from on top of a step ladder each year, 4 poles across 20ft row
joined by stout wooden laths wired on and the bamboo poles ties onto them.
Never moved yet.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK