Old 16-10-2011, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Purple berry

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

The Sloe only has a small spot as a flower scar, if in doubt bite into
it, very sharp and astringent then it's a Sloe.

Small for sloes? It would help if the OP could tell us the plant size
and
growth habit, and the size of the fruit... and whether he's in a
markedly
acid or alkaline area.

Janet

Janet.

Right, something else I failed to think of! The berries are half inch
diameter, they also lack the crease on one side the plum family has.
Plant size my memory's a bit hazy, it wasnt the only plant I was
looking at, but 3-6 foot high. The soil is clay, I believe alkaline,
and a bit on the wet side.

I totally agree with what someone said further up, I wont be eating
any until I'm positive I've got the identification right.

NT- Hide quoted text -

Who said anything about eating?

Struart Robert Hinsley did.

Bill