Old 17-10-2011, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default cheap way of creating raised beds?

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 16, 8:27 am, "Bob F" wrote:
The Soul Patch wrote:
hello all, had such an epic day yesterday up at the soul patch but
was going to see if anyone had any canny and most importantly cheap
ideas of how to create large raised beds. i am thinking 2 20ftx10ft
beds so quite a lot of material needed. any thoughts well
appreciated!

Just slope the earth up to the raised level, with pathways in
between.

Or, use cinder blocks.

I would like to try this, as I'm tired of the Mickey Mouse job I did
of raised beds.

But I don't understand how sloped sides can maintain their shape.
Doesn't rain, or even watering, break down those sloped sides?

For sides with about a 30 degree slope and height of 30cm (1 ft) there is
very little movement due to watering. If you go steeper or higher the
problem gets worse.