Old 19-10-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Sick, no. Frustrated, yes

On 17/10/2011 16:53, jahnin wrote:
Christina Websell;938566 Wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
...--
-
You should probably be a lot more scared of 118 people search
'Search for people fast with 118.com the No. 1 in Directory Enquiries'
(http://www.118.com/people-search.mvc)-

I'm not on there or 192.com-

Or the fully searchable copy of the (edited) electoral roll for England

given away with a computer magazine a few years back.-

I don't know if I am on that.
I worked until recently for a child protection team for over 20 years
and
all workers were removed from any database they could be traced by.

will site like this not be used for fraud? Most published report about
victims of identity thieves are popular personality. I am just not sure
if it happens to ordinary citizens.

Yes it does. A friend's mother has had her identity stolen (unclear how)
and gets way more attention from bailiffs knocking at the door than is
good for someone who is retired. I think it is sorted out now but it
took a fair amount of effort to resolve (only case I know of).

I suspected that I had been done recently when financial mail about a
possible fraud addressed Mr other initials than mine Brown turned up
on the doormat. A visit to their bank revealed that another Mr Brown had
previously lived at my address and it was a prehistoric relic from some
antiquated database that their card fraud squad were still using. I have
had bother myself with Visa's own brand "Card Sentinel" or whatever it's
called now sending a list of all my credit cards to a previous address
(so I had some sympathy for the other Mr Brown).

And skimming cards in pubs and clubs is I am afraid routine in the
run-up to Xmas. Best advice is never let your card out of your sight.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown