Old 21-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Potman Potman is offline
Registered User

Location: Norwich

Sounds like a great way to use up over grown runners!

So, the dried runner bean pods are worth harvesting!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.[/i][/color]

Les haricots?[/i][/color]

Just ordinary English runner beans. These are the variety 'Streamline'
as bought from Wilko's a number of years ago with large bean seeds that
are quite pretty shades of purple, blue and black. The skins on the
seeds are a bit too tough to make them nice to eat without removing them
first; but they come off easily after cooking and cooling.

I plan to try some simply tossed in a little butter next as a side
portion. I'm sure they'll be tasty. The texture as well as the taste is
similar to roasted chestnuts.

I'd better add the usual disclaimer here for beans, I think it applies
to all bean (seeds) ... that the boiling for half an hour is important
because it destroys a toxin in the beans which can otherwise make people
ill. Though I think it is only necessary to boil for ten or fifteen
minutes to destroy the toxin, the rest of the boiling time is simply to
cook / soften them.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.[/quote]