Old 21-10-2011, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Coffee grounds ?

Snag wrote:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be too
much .

pretty heavy to move. buckets with good
handles will help your hands a lot.

So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

acid loving plants would probably be ok with
some of them, but the majority i would want to
compost first before using them in a garden.

worm composting, probably ok too. no idea how
long it would take to get the grounds from fresh
to processed enough to be usable as compost (i
don't drink coffee here or i could tell you exactly
as i do worm composting of all of our veggie scraps)
but it'd be a month or two as those roasted bean
pieces are pretty hard and acidic. probably be a
good strawberry topping when done.

having neighbors who are also gardeners would
give you other outlets. having them help carry
would be even better.

songbird