Old 21-10-2011, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Still harvesting tomatoes

Not only am I still harvesting, but some of the plants have just sprouted
new growth, and one has new flowers! And one of the greenhouses has an
infestation of fat hairy black caterpillars.

Dug out a few of the name labels. The ones still going well right now a
shirley - lovely spherical, red, very regular, would have been great for
showing if only they'd been ready earlier!
rosada - my new favourite straight-to-mouth tomato, still growing
'red pear' - no actual name, it seems, but they're very pretty and tasty
Un-named yellow, medium-large, spherical - tastier than the Golden Sunrise
that I grew last year, which went mushy, but still not wonderful. I would
stop growing yellows, but Daniel loves yellow things!
Some GD are still growing well, but still very odd range of sizes!

Plants that are dead but still ripening fruit:
pineapple - lovely orange ribbed things
roma - plant mostly cut back, but they're still ripening, lots of lovely
waisted fruits!
Super marmande - nice shape, but not all that tasty.
creamy sausage - nice shape, taste ok, but were early blighted. But oddly,
still growing! (Cut all the blight off, the lower part is still there, and
still has fruit)

Some very disappointing ones this year:
* mortgage lifter
* hundredweight
* erm, another big one with a foreign name ...
- all huge, pinky-red or red with light shoulders, can't remember which is
which. Very poor taste and texture. All heritage varieties. Unforunately
can see why they faded out. :-(
* ildi - grow them every year for Daniel, and they're always terrible.
Loads and loads of flowers, only a handful or two of tomatoes! I guess I
need to start hand-polinating them a bit at the right time.
* 'sripey peach', which look like tigerella should but never do for me,
these had really squishy texture. Plant is still growing