Old 22-10-2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Coffee grounds ?

Snag said:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read

somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be

too
much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground

and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

I wish I was still getting a few 5 gallon buckets of coffee grounds every
week...

I put them into the compost, added them to shredded newspaper for a worm
bin and mixed them with shredded leaves for mulching everywhere.

Also dusted dried grounds onto and around my eggplants to repel flea
beetles.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."