Old 22-10-2011, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Still harvesting tomatoes

David WE Roberts wrote:
Outdoor tomatoes still ripening well.
I nearly brought them in green the other day but the frost missed us and the
weather is warming up again.

I'm impressed the frost missed you! Where are you based?
It's been frosty overnight here all week, then warm again in the day.
Courgettes are totally gone now.

Some have been blighted, but with almost all the leaves gone the blight
isn't really taking hold.

Absolutely everyone on our allotments had blight, except one bloke, who has
a whole row of tomatoes which he can't remember hte name of. They're quite
short plants, medium sized fruit, and orangey red. He gave mea tomato which
I've taken the seeds out of, but I am not holding my breath for them to come
out the same variety. But I'll give them a go.

All mine on the allotment were doing ok, but gave in to blight before they
cropped. (Which is better than most others, who didn't even get that far!)

Still some flowers out, but I don't think any new fruits will get very far.

I have had outdoor tomatoes going almost till Christmas some years, but I
suspect this year may be too cold before then.

I've never even managed to keep indoors that late!

I am debating what to do. I need to move the potato plants inside before
they get too frosted, but I don't want to bring them into the greenhouse
whilst there is still a lingering blight-covered tomato crop in there!