Old 22-10-2011, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Coffee grounds ?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:20:04 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Snag said:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read

somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be

too
much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground

and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

I wish I was still getting a few 5 gallon buckets of coffee grounds every
week...

I put them into the compost, added them to shredded newspaper for a worm
bin and mixed them with shredded leaves for mulching everywhere.

Also dusted dried grounds onto and around my eggplants to repel flea
beetles.

Wish I had known about keeping the flea beetles off the eggplant. Mine
EP leaves look like lace. I have a couple of small fruit on the
plants and lots of blossoms Same for the peppers. I doubt that they
will pollinate in time to produce anything of any size.

Small scare this morning -- Frost Alert 34°F. I did not look at the
weather last night so this morning's notice was of no help.
Fortunately it only got down to about 39°F here and everything is
still fine. Supposed to be the same tonight and then overnight temps
in the 40s. About the only thing left are the peppers and the
Cannellini beans that I planted late.

Now maybe I can finish getting the Tung Oil on the TV stand that DH as
built. One more coat and then get the room cleaned and ready to move
it. Also need to put the citrus plants in the greenhouse before we
get a real freeze.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills