Old 24-10-2011, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Coffee grounds ?

"Snag" wrote in message
I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read
somewhere that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a
fertilizer on my garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how
much would be too much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground
and filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as
food , got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business
from the local fisherfolk ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

There's not really a rule of thumb. You need to keep your ph though.
Well, I read somewhere that blueberries love coffee grounds. But Id
compost them first. Or if you get like a half truckload or something. I
might mix them up with lime and put them in the garden.
And worm farms might work, but I thought everyone was using newspaper for
worm farms.