Old 24-10-2011, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default Coffee grounds ?

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
m...

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"Snag" wrote in message
I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been
offered as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've
read somewhere that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a
fertilizer on my garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and
how much would be too much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application
? When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the
ground and filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's
grounds as food , got some very healthy and active worms , and had
repeat business from the local fisherfolk ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

There's not really a rule of thumb. You need to keep your ph though.
Well, I read somewhere that blueberries love coffee grounds. But Id
compost them first. Or if you get like a half truckload or something. I
might mix them up with lime and put them in the garden.
And worm farms might work, but I thought everyone was using newspaper for
worm farms.

Generally speaking, coffee grounds are not acidic. The acid leaches out in
the brewing process. In moderation they can be added straight to almost
any planting, however pre composting them makes a better fertilizer.

Never, never, never mention blueberries and lime in the same paragraph.
Lime is deadly for blueberries, a Ph over about 5.8 is unhealthy for them.

i was talking about lime in my bind weed garden. But yea I see the
confusion. I should of said or.

Speaking of blueberries though. I visited a pick your own blueberry farm
off of Baumhardt road. In the summer. I was more intersted in their
techniques then their blueberries.
But they were good. I think I ate more fruit this summer then ever in my
life. Theyre site pics arent good though.

Coffee grounds and shredded paper make a really good substrate for growing
oyster (Pleurotus) mushrooms. Have a look at www.mushroommountain.com for
more specifics.

Steve