Old 24-10-2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgette Rot

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my
courgette & at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants &
then on my squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all
find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue
to grow if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I
usually have to shoo away the bees to get near them.

That's interesting. Does the same thing happen with other fruits/veg
that is really a fruit?

Some plants produce full fruit without fertilisation, it's called
parthenocarpy. For example bananas, some oranges and watermelons. Most
fruits don't develop very much at all and fall while tiny and hard if not
fertilised. I don't know how many partially develop if not fertilised.