View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old 24-10-2011, 11:39 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Austin View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a house with a tree in the front patio. I'd like to identify the name of the tree and the type of root it has as i'd like to remove it. See the attached photo.

Also, I've been told these trees are worth quite a bit of money. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, is it possible to sell it once it's been dug up or will it just die?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
Hi Shaun, Its a European Hardy Fan Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) If you wanted to buy one of this size, it would cost several hundred pounds !! You would need to lift a few paving stones to get a rootball out but it wouldnt need to be that big, about 2-3ft across. I would put an advert in your local paper, buyer removes and ask about £150
They actually move very easily, if I was moving it, Id tie all the fronds up, then dig a trench around it 18" away from the trunk, until the rootball was free. Then comes the hard bit, a palm of this size, with a rootball will be very heavy, ideally you need some type of mechanical lifting device to winch it out but be careful to put good boards down to protect the slabs ??
Lannerman.