Old 25-10-2011, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default cheap way of creating raised beds?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:17:25 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Oct 16, 8:27 am, "Bob F" wrote:
The Soul Patch wrote:
hello all, had such an epic day yesterday up at the soul patch but
was going to see if anyone had any canny and most importantly
cheap ideas of how to create large raised beds. i am thinking 2
20ftx10ft beds so quite a lot of material needed. any thoughts
well appreciated!

Just slope the earth up to the raised level, with pathways in
between.

Or, use cinder blocks.

I would like to try this, as I'm tired of the Mickey Mouse job I did
of raised beds.

But I don't understand how sloped sides can maintain their shape.
Doesn't rain, or even watering, break down those sloped sides?

For sides with about a 30 degree slope and height of 30cm (1 ft)
there is very little movement due to watering. If you go steeper or
higher the problem gets worse.

With a 30º slope and one foot high why bother, may as well just garden
on the flat ground. With that configuration and nothing to contain
the earth everytime one cultivates/rakes or otherwise works the soil
within one season it'll lose at least half it's height... it'll need
constant reforming leaving little time for plantings to acclimate, not
worth the trouble... what you descibe is really like how pumpkins are
grown on a mound, but that's not nearly raised bed gardening.

I never had that problem. Is your soil all sand?