Old 24-10-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default How do I propagate bamboo?

"BAC" wrote in message

"Calum Grant" wrote in message
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it? Also
what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait until
spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

A lot of people will be wondering "how do I get rid of bamboo?", methinks
:-)

Not least the owners of the house near me where the bamboo has escaped from
the garden and is now half way across the pavement (yes, coming up through
the tarmac) on it's way to the road.

But to answer the OP, what could be simpler than digging up a bit, just hack
off a bit with a bit of root, it's not as if you're going to kill it. And
yes, it is inconsiderate. If you plant it near me it's grounds for a smack
in the mouth.

Steve