Old 24-10-2011, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default straw

In article , kay
writes
Still not sure what you're using it for. Are you putting it around

special plants as a soil conditioner, or using it to plant into? Or are

you using a peat based compost rather than pure peat? I'd use garden

compost for all of those, so still have the question of what do you see

as the advantages of what you're doing?

The straw mulch would work out marginally cheaper i think and some
plants just need a bit of a mulch round them and possibly selective soil
conditioning. i don't want to cover up the ground elder as i need to see
it to kill it, nor do i want to make the soil more friable for it! So I
generally mulch after the soil is damp, those plants that I want to help
rather than whole beds.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph