Old 25-10-2011, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default How do I propagate bamboo?

"Calum Grant" wrote in message

/What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
/bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.
/
/Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
/Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
/until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
/neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
/

Our bamboo (exact name unknown) grows to a max of 4'. It outgrew it's 18"
dia tub, so I split it into 4 pieces last October. All 4 pieces are doing
fine - 2 in pots and 2 back in the ground.