Old 25-10-2011, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john east john east is offline

Default How do I propagate bamboo?

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Calum Grant" wrote in message

/What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
/bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.
/
/Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
/Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
/until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
/neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
/

Our bamboo (exact name unknown) grows to a max of 4'. It outgrew it's 18"
dia tub, so I split it into 4 pieces last October. All 4 pieces are doing
fine - 2 in pots and 2 back in the ground.

================================================== =================================================

You can get bamboo that clumps and not spreads. Which we did nearly 20 yrs
ago, unbeknown to us about seven years later it had spread a lot before it
really started appearing above ground, here and there and in the neigbours.
We had to dig up huge amounts using a 6' long metal builders levering pole.
Absolute nightmare.

We like bamboo, but only ever plant in 'sunken' plastic water tanks. Beware,
ten or more years down the road and you might never get rid of it. We have
never been able to get rid of it and are still are pulling up shoots.
Probably never will, because the neighbours are lax about pulling up their
shoots, so in time it will come back to us again. On the other side the
neighbours curse us about it. You have been warned.