Old 25-10-2011, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do I propagate bamboo?

"Calum Grant" wrote in message
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it? Also
what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait until
spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

Splitting a good size chunk off is the best way, include some of the
existing stems but you can reduce their height to make it easier to handle
and reduce water loss while its re establishing.

You should only ever plant Bamboo where you can work all around it, there is
no such thing as a non spreading Bamboo, I have one near a boundary and
maintain a trench between it and the wall so I can see if it starts to move
in that direction, you definitely need to keep an eye on them. The barrier
sold for the job does not work particularly well and I would not rely on it,
best to check at least once a year, remember they can send runners 12' under
ground before sending a shoot up so check around the clumps every year
because at that stage the runners are not well rooted and can be easily
removed.
Do not assume past good behavior will continue, Bamboo grow in cycles,
building up strength below ground before expanding (often rapidly)

Don't get me wrong I like them and have several, but like Leylandii hedges,
not properly looked after they are anti social menace!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs